Sunday 26 May 2013

XBox One

Okay, I'm probably a tad late for this by now, but due to the lack of owning a proper blog I haven't had the chance to complain on the web. Anyone who is even remotely interested in this topic surely knows what I'm going to talk about, but for those not yet on the bandwagon: Microsoft revealed the new Xbox-console this week, and in short, it's outrageous.

Before people call me anti-Microsoft, let me get this straight: I own an Xbox and my family owns an Xbox 360. I love both consoles and thoroughly enjoy playing with them. I eagerly awaited for the release of the next console, but it turned out to be a disaster to me.

Starting off with the obvious, I think the name is ridiculous. Xbox One? Yeah, I understand they're trying to brand it as the "One and Only Home Entertainment System", but it's still a bit weird. To me it feels like they're trying to write off the Xbox and the 360 as "prototypes" or something similar, as if they were just practice for the great Xbox One. Or maybe they weren't very good at math, I don't really know.

Next up, registering games. Oh yes, back to the old PC-times, when faking codes was the thing when borrowing games. Once you've bought a game, you have to register it onto your console before you are able to play it. After it's registered, it can only be played on the console it's registered on. No more borrowing from friends. This also means that if you buy games secondhand, you have to pay an extra fee when registering it into your Xbox One, because it was originally registered on someone else's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand this fee would be the same price as buying the game brand new. After you've already payed at the store. I know buying secondhand doesn't profit the original seller, and I kind of understand where Microsoft is coming from, but full price for a used game you already payed for once? No thank you, I'll fire up my emulator.

What I especially love about the 360 is that I can play most of my Xbox games on it. The two consoles are hooked onto two different TVs, the Xbox onto my tiny 10-year old telly and the 360 into my dad's magnificent widescreen TV. It's awesome to be able to play Fable every once in a while so that I can actually see what I'm doing. I expected it'd be the same with Xbox One, but no. Not backwards compatible. We were planning on buying the new Xbox with my boyfriend after moving together (I only own Xbox, so I can't take our 360 with me) so that I could keep playing my 360 games. I guess we'll just buy Xbox 360, maybe think about PS 4. And it's obviously not about the technology being too difficult, it's about money.

I personally think Kinect is pretty awesome, despite obvious faults. That's why I thought built-in Kinect would be one of the rare good points in the new console. Wrong again! The Kinect, which is basically a motion sensing camera, is on all the time in Xbox One. You can say Xbox on, and the console turns on, thanks to the Kinect, but do I want a camera that's constantly monitoring me? Sure as hell I don't. It's cool that you can control it without touching the remote, but forcing the Kinect onto people isn't the solution. 

I'm not even going to go into the "Xbox Live still costs!" or the TV-features, because they're not of interest and I haven't got much to say about them, except why, Microsoft, why? Anyway, here was my thoughts on this madness, feel free to comment and agree or disagree.

---

Also, hello everybody, I started a blog!

Nakkilapsi here, young woman from Finland. I do games, art, books, movies, music and a lot of other things. I'm going to write about anything I feel like writing about in this blog, so expect anything and everything.

-Nakkilapsi


No comments:

Post a Comment