Thursday 30 May 2013

Art final

About two weeks ago our school handed out the instructions and subjects for the high school art diploma, and out of the six subjects two sounded interesting, one related to dreams and the other to games. Luckily I'll only get to start on it in the autumn, so no hurry on making decisions.

Another artsy thing is much more urgent, though. It's possible to make a work of art as your "final" work at our high school, and it's often recommended to be done before the diploma. It's a piece where the artist can still fumble and try out new techniques, whereas the diploma should exhibit the artist's strengths. That's why I'll be completing my final during the summer break, and possibly experiment on different styles. It'll still probably be watercolours, since I just can't seem to get enough of them. Look forward to seeing finished pieces and updates here!

I decided I'd rather do many smaller pieces instead of a big one, so I finally settled on a subject that allows me to do so. My friend helped me come up with it, which was surprisingly difficult, as in the final, we are allowed to do anything as opposed to the diplomas 6 given subjects. I decided I'd illustrate a book. Not a comic of it, but old fashioned illustrations, or leaning to comics, two or three panels of certain moments. As I love books, I have no trouble with finding a source, but the problem is which book to choose. I've singled out a few candidates, and also decided I'd exclude all books with illustrations already in them, as they might affect my art.

Dealing With Dragons (Patricia C Wrede), a story of a rebellious princess who doesn't get kidnapped by a dragon, but goes to live with one because she can. I got this as a gift when I was 8, and loved it greatly. I collected the rest of the series as well, but this book remained the best of them for me. I'd love to do this one as it has a lot of fond memories associated, and to top it off, dragons!

Boneshaker (Cherie Priest) was one of the best books I've read in a while. A gripping steampunk tale with zombies and wonderful characters. I can't really explain why I'd want to do this one, I just found the book so good.

A Discworld novel (Terry Pratchett). Any Discworld novel. They're quirky, wacky and everything in between, and would be spiffing to illustrate with all the fantasy creatures and characters that have been part of my life for years now. It would be my tribute to these wonderful books and author.

The Amulet of Samarkand (Jonathan Stroud), the first in the Bartimaeus trilogy, a series my mom bought me as a gift. She thought the books sounded cool, and sure, they were fantastic. They were a bit slow for me to read at first, but I still couldn't stop. I chose the first book only because it's the first, and I'd rather start from the beginning.

Even though I have gotten this far, I still have no clue which I'll pick. If any of my few readers (you) have a preference, don't be afraid to comment and tell me which and why. It might help me choose, and it's always interesting to hear other's opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment